Monday, February 6, 2012

Cloth diapering

I do both cloth and disposable diapers. For disposables I really like 7th Generation for it's absorbency, durability and eco-friendliness (it actually decomposes where other's do not, like for many, many, many years)   I've been using regular old cloth diapers (unbleached) with Snappies ( instead of pins) and the workhorse variety which are cut more like a diaper and close with snaps or Velcro. These can be used alone, for the brave, or with a variety of cute and irresistible diaper covers, the options are endless. Behold the variety at www.greenmountiandiapers.com   There are lots of pics of all the diapers and covers on a variety of babies from newborn to toddler.

How I wash cloth diapers and covers:
 Some use a pail and wash when they have a full load. For two reasons I wash daily; 1) I only own about two days worth of diapers, and 2) I don't want to smell or touch (much) soiled diapers especially ones that are several days old. That said, cloth really doesn't smell as strong as a soiled disposable.  I use diaper liners which come in rolls , they are a very thin mesh like a dryer sheet after run in the dryer.  The liners catch all the poo, basically, and I  flush the poo away and throw the liner in the outside bin. I wash diapers in my 'towels and unders' load, and yes I have a full load every day; one 'towels and unders' and one regular. I use Charlies Soap powder for all my laundry. I use bleach or vinegar to kill germs in the 'towels and unders' loads. I do not use dryer sheets or fabric softeners.

If I have a diaper that is especially soiled (poo) I will run it in a quick cold wash cycle by  itself before going through the regular cycle.  I have a small wet bag for when I go out, it has a waterproof lining for soiled diapers and an outer pocket for fresh diapers/wipes. At home I don't use a pail, I just put the diaper in a small bin on top of my washer which is in the garage. The bin gets the Lysol wipe treatment every so often . I fold the diapers on themselves so the soil doesn't really touch the bin itself.
 I use disposables just at night and at church, so one pack of 36 diapers will last me all month.

No comments:

Post a Comment