Friday, February 3, 2012

All dressed up with nowhere to go

This morning I rose early, did some chores and got myself dressed, complete with poofy hair, Pinterest inspired orange and grey outfit (which I am loving)  and SHOES. I know, when does mom ever put on shoes without some place special to go?  "Bi-bow sudy?" Seth asked. Not today. Today I am availing myself to God's will in a way I too often overlook. I'm getting all dressed up and ready to go.

*get showered (early if you can, before Hubby leaves the house) Many times I have had to warsh (we say warsh over here) my hair in the kitchen sink, and take a 'tub shower' which means get in the tub and run the faucet: wash what's important and do it fast. This way I can keep an ear and eye on the kids. Whatever it takes, right? If I've learned one thing in 12 years of momming it's that I need to adapt because life comes at me fast and not the same way twice.
*dressed, poofed, and brushed (teeth)
*run the washer, get the dishes done (while little ones having breakfast or entranced by their morning cartoon. Use this time to stock the diaper/outing bag with water and car snacks and throw into the car things often left home without (dry cleaning, store returns, library books, bills)
*straighten the house as you go, just 'picked up' enough to not give you hives when you come home (wipe the bathroom counter with the damp towel from your shower, use the baby wipe you wiped baby's face with to swipe the high chair tray.
*Make a to-do list that includes any grocery items, calls to make, and reminders. I back-pocket my list, and look at it throughout the day. Things tend to disappear in my purse.

All this takes about an hour and a half, give or take a poopy diaper. The key is to be quick, don't go from one room to another without something in your hands to put away (something from my waitress days). Also, don't stress. Life happens. You will fail if you try to hold back the flood gates of life happening.



I'm studying the Proverbs 31 model of the ideal woman/wife/mother. This time around I'm taking it slow and breaking it in to palatable, small bits;a single thought, verse, principle.. with the goal of taking what I learn and making real application.

Proverbs 31:10 says "who can find a capable wife?"
Capable:
  • Having the ability, fitness, or quality necessary to do or achieve a specified thing.

  • Able to achieve efficiently whatever one has to do; competent.


  • Are you feeling like you just don't have what it takes?
    Have you thrown in the towel before getting out of the gates?
    Why don't you try getting ready for your day.  You may get out of the house, you may stay in and play choo-choo in the hallway like I did this morning.  But I've got options now that I wouldn't have in my greasy hair and baggy bottom sweats.  If opportunity knocks I'm presentable enough to answer the door.
     While playing outside with the little ones I'm much more inclined to take a bag of oranges from our tree over to the neighbor's , greet and thank the mail man. Walk down to the estate sale down the street. (which I totally did and had a blast) None of these if I'm in my slippers and baggy-bottom sweats with greasy hair and yesterday's eye make-up on my cheek.  Doors open for ministering to others because I am availing myself to be around people, and I am in a good mood.  So if you don't already, make a point to get ready for the day.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment