Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Baby sleep solutions

I am working on getting my little guy to go to sleep while awake at nap and night time.  I have let some bad habits form and am paying the price.  My current method disrupts the peace in our home My last words to my older boys are often short and frustrated. This is not good! I have sought their forgiveness and their support as I close this chapter of our lives, hurah!

The ferber method is basically what I have done with all the boys, although I didn't follow any method or buy any books. This just matches what we have done pretty closely as far as putting the baby to bed while awake and allowing hime to cry for a bit. Although, we don't let the babies cry for longer than fifteen minutes, and I do pick them up and soothe them. Gradually, within a week of being consistant, they stop crying when we put them down.





 .

What exactly is the Ferber method?

In a nutshell, Ferber says you can teach your baby to soothe himself to sleep when he's physically and emotionally ready, usually sometime between 3 and 5 months of age.

He recommends following a warm, loving
bedtime routine and then putting your baby in bed awake and leaving him (even if he cries) for gradually longer periods of time. Putting a child to bed awake, says Ferber, is crucial to successfully teaching him to go to sleep on his own.

I expect this to come as a shock to my nearly 1 year old :) but starting tonight after bath and singing songs and praying with brothers, he is being rocked and put in bed. I expect he will cry quite a lot. I do know from experience that it will be worth every tear! Mine and his :)

This is what 5am looks like for Matt and I.  The little ones are in the habit of waking at 5.  I will have to work on this sleep issue another time. Often Seth is in bed with us as well. Good times. I love the "stalker" haha. 

No comments:

Post a Comment