Thursday, January 12, 2012

Under Where!??

I aim to keep a tidy under the kitchen sink; but once in a while it really gets away from me.  The time to "redo" is today. We have a reverse osmosis system that takes up half of our space, so it is really important to stay on top of my under-sink area or when I open the doors items are leaping out.

 I will start by pulling everything out. Everything.

 Make two piles (or divide in to bags/boxes)
A) what is used daily or several times a week.
B)Everything else gets the "boot".

 While everything is out of the cupboard, give a wipe down with  a solution of vinegar water or bleach cleaner. Check for any leaks/seepage at this time as well.  If you don't have a mat of some sort (vinyl, rubber non skid type) now is a good time to arrange that now that everything is clean.

If you store spray bottles under the sink, I saw how one insightful gal used a tiny tension rod across the length of her cupboard and hung the spray bottles. How nifty!










I affixed a 3m hook on the inside of each door. One is for my mini dust pan and brush (my most handy-dandy kitchen tool), the other hook holds a mini cutting board; perfect for slicing a piece of fruit after a quick rinse at the sink.

What was returned under my sink:
*warehouse store size dish soap (for refilling my soap dispensing scrub brush)
*dish washer tabs (in a jar with lid easily opened with one hand)
*supplement phosphate powder, also in glass jar
*bottle of vinegar ( rinse aide for dishwasher and to refill spray bottle)
*spray bottle of vinegar solution (works great on sticky clean-ups)
*tub of disinfecting wipes
*paper towel roll.  I try to not rely on paper towels and keeping them under the sink helps manage paper towel use.
*small hand towel for just in case leaks/spills. Whenever my husband is working under the sink I always have to run down the hall for an old towel; now I'm ready.

I find myself getting a little thrill every time I open the doors and see how neat, tidy, and functional this space is. It is after all, one of those practical spaces that we utilize at least once a day...I believe I'm at 5+ times a day!
Blessed to be serving my family in this way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment