Thursday, May 24, 2012

I Need Some Quiet / Play Dough Recipe






I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE! HERE, PLAY WITH THIS!

Have a half an hour time slot in your day that demands your focus but it seems to be the time the kiddos squawk, whine, and run amok? I call it roosting. Where we live, in the fall, we get a tremendous amount of crows.  In the late afternoon they start cawing and collecting together in large numbers. They fly from their perch in great big clusters and swarm a bit only to land back in the same tree and repeat 50 million times. It all seems very random and frenzied to me, but I'm beginning to think (observing my boys) that this is what the crows must do to get all their energy out so when the crow mommies tuck them in they will sleep through the night.

I need to make dinner, the roosting begins. Something like this:

I'm wielding a knife chopping veggies, there are two little boys clinging to my knees and pulling on my pant leg. The phone rings, one of the big boys comes in to forage for food minutes before dinner. I start to correct.  The door bell rings, older boy #2 is asking if his friend, who's followed him in the kitchen carrying a box of dirt and matching shoes, can play and "do we have any chips?" and "what do worms eat exactly?"  and by the way "did you sign that really important thing that's due tomorrow?" and "do you know where it is Mom?  I haven't seen it since school and I forget what it looks like."  and oh my, the baby is stinky.  Again.  The three year old has something of importance to the ten year old and I hear the verbal tug-o-war escalating in the next room. It could be over a bag of chips.  I realize I'm holding the phone. "Hello?" 

Sound familiar?  Much of the chaos is circumstantial, and perspective is everything.  To every thing there is a season, right?  My goal is to keep calm in these harried times, and demonstrate to my big guys how to handle difficult circumstances.

So when things get crazy and the kids are roosting, please don't forget to pray. Pray out loud so they can hear you. Don't you want them turning to the Lord in the very midst of their trials?

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Philippians 4:6

Then...get out the play dough, random kitchen utencils and cookie cutters,and  put on some praise music.





When the neighbor comes by to pick up her son (the one with the dirt) she comments "You are so creative! Your kids are so good. Your home is always so calm."


.


Roll up your sleeves girls. We're making play dough.  It is so easy-peasy and really fun. Have the kiddos help knead. Trust me, you will love LOVE the way play dough contains and occupies kids of all ages. Even the baby plays in his high chair.  Praise the Lord, he doesn't try to eat it, although when he's done he will throw it on the floor :)

You are going to want to make a batch in every color. And maybe one with glitter.  And did you know you can add some extracts for scented play dough? How about essential oils? hmmmmmmm calming lavendar??



Ingredients needed:
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 teaspoons cream of tarter
  • 1 teaspoon oil
  • 1/4 cup salt
  • food coloring
  • peppermint extract (or scent of your choice)
  • glitter if you want sparklies but use the really fine glitter.
1. Combine all ingredients except coloring, glitter and scented extract in medium saucepan.
2. Stir continuously over medium heat until smooth and pulls away from sides of pan. Remove from heat.
3. Plave dough ball on counter or cutting board and begin to knead when cool enough to handle.
4. Work in a few drops of extract or scented oil at a time making a depression in dough so it doesn't roll off onto counter. Add a few drops at a time until it smells enough to your taste. (but, no tasting!)
5. Divide in halves or fourths and add in coloring a few drops at a time, as you did the extract/scented oil.  This would be the time to add glitter also.
6. Store in quart size storage bags, or my favorite, these:
                                .




This dough will last all year. I have not had mine dry out, but I do toss it out when it gets to be crummy and hairy from multiple drops on the floor.

Here are some fun play dough ideas:


My boys love playing with plastic animals in play dough.
Construction vehicles. Brrrrrrrum!




Google eyes!
This is a great way for little ones to learn their letters and big guys study vocab/spelling.

2 comments:

  1. Love your storytelling!! I feel like I'm there with you and it's my kids with the worms and dirt. Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks for the sweet compliment :) And have fun with the play dough!

      Delete